A force meant to ensure security
has become a brewery of brutality.
They shoot at peaceful protesters
while criminals see them as jesters.
Where is intelligence in their tactics
if they treat sacred lives like statistics?
Concerned nationals yearn for reforms,
why attacked them like cankerworms?
Every innocent blood you’ve shed,
every law-abiding soul that has bled,
every baseless injury you’ve inflicted
scream that you should be evicted…
I hope the government will yield
before sanctuaries turn to battlefields.
If police are meant to maintain law,
then cut their claws and fix their flaws.
The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was a Nigerian Police Force unit charged with the responsibility of curbing and combating armed robbery but it was disbanded on October 11, 2020, following a widespread protest from Nigerians which took a global dimension.
Some of the many controversial activities that SARS officers were accused of include acts of torture, extortion, blackmail, extra judicial killings, framing and sexual abuse.
However, the ongoing protest seems to have revealed a lot of professional lapses in the conduct of the police force as pockets of sporadic shootings and reprisal attacks from the police were reported. Some peaceful protesters were reported dead.
Meanwhile, the peaceful protesters outlined their demands as follows:
1. Immediate release of all protesters arrested.
2. Justice for all decreased victims of police brutality and adequate compensation of their families.
3. Set up independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of police misconduct.
4. Psychological evaluation and training of all disbanded ex-SARS officers.
5. Increase in police salary so they can be adequately compensated for protecting lives and properties of citizens.
These are not too much to ask for, right? I pray God guides our leaders right and help them to do what’s right.
© Adeleke Adeite